Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Worship Leaders vs. Lead Worshipers

This is in response to a question posed about defining worship leaders vs. lead worshipers.

I would say that people can be real technical with terminology, but to me worship leaders are the ones involved in organizing, planning, praying over, and initiating (inviting the H.S.) the worship in a service (not speaking specifically the music portion of the service, mind you). An example would be a worship pastor, praise team, lead vocalist, etc. A lead worshiper however could be one of the pre-mentioned or a lay person of the congregation who helps to motivate those around them or one who can maybe set an example of worship. I would include choir members into this category. When I was in high school I always wanted to be a part of the praise team: the group that weekly led worship from the stage. But now that I look back I realize I had the role of a lead worshiper. I always sat in the front (as did most youth) and did not hold back my physical or emotional reaction to God's moving. I could not help it...i just got into it. It was fun and I felt close to God. Worship through song, especially helped me to feel close to God because of the passions and gifts that He instilled in me. I think one must be careful as there may be a fine line between "showing off" or playing a part vs. leading my example. I was not concerned with what others were thinking nor would I insist someone react physically the same way that I did. The Psalms tell us to shout, dance, and sing for joy...so DO IT! But I think as a younger person who was willing to connect so quickly and to fully engage myself helped others not be intimidated to worship the way that they felt led. I think my energy as a lead worshiper was contagious to others to encourage the "worship experience." All this to say...we were still fairly calm baptist worshipers. :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you Baptists. We're going to have to get a pentecostal into your church sometime. ;)

    ReplyDelete